Poughkeepsie Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Suffered a Spine Injury in Poughkeepsie, NY?
If you have suffered a severe spinal injury in an accident, you need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries. At Basch & Keegan LLP, our Poughkeepsie spinal cord injury lawyer is here to guide you through the complex legal process of filing a claim and can help you recover the maximum amount of damages.
Call or contact us online today to request a free case evaluation with our team.
What is a Spinal Cord Injury?
The spine is the central bony structure that runs along the back. It is composed of individual vertebrae and serves as the body's primary support structure. The spine protects the spinal cord, which is a bundle of nerves that carries signals between the brain and the rest of the body. It is often referred to as the "backbone."
A spinal cord injury (SCI) is damage to the spinal cord that results in a loss of function, sensation, or mobility. The spinal cord is a vital component of the central nervous system, responsible for transmitting signals between the brain and the rest of the body. When the spinal cord is injured, the communication between the brain and various parts of the body can be disrupted, leading to a range of symptoms and impairments. The severity and location of the injury determine the extent of these impairments.
Common types of spinal cord injuries include:
- Complete Spinal Cord Injury: This type of injury results in a total loss of sensory and motor function below the level of the injury. It means that there is no sensation or voluntary muscle control below the injured area. These injuries are often caused by severe trauma or damage to the spinal cord and are typically permanent.
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: In an incomplete SCI, there is some degree of remaining function or sensation below the level of the injury. The extent of impairment can vary widely, depending on the specific location and severity of the injury. Incomplete injuries may result in varying degrees of paralysis, sensory deficits, and dysfunction.
- Tetraplegia (Quadriplegia): This type of SCI affects the cervical region of the spine (neck area) and results in partial or complete paralysis of all four limbs. It can also impact the muscles of the chest, abdomen, and even the respiratory system.
- Paraplegia: Paraplegia is characterized by the partial or complete loss of motor and sensory function in the lower half of the body, typically due to an injury in the thoracic, lumbar, or sacral region of the spinal cord.
- Concussion or Contusion: A concussion or contusion of the spinal cord occurs when there is a bruise or mild injury to the spinal cord, often caused by sudden impact. These injuries can vary in severity and may result in temporary or permanent impairment.
- Penetrating Injury: A penetrating injury happens when an object penetrates the spinal cord, causing damage. This can result from gunshot wounds, stabbing, or similar traumatic events and may lead to severe and permanent deficits.
- Central Cord Syndrome: This type of SCI often results from damage to the center of the spinal cord, typically in the cervical region. It can lead to varying degrees of weakness and sensory loss, with the upper limbs being more affected than the lower limbs.
- Anterior Cord Syndrome: This injury primarily affects the front portion of the spinal cord and can result in loss of motor function, temperature sensation, and pain perception while preserving some sensation to touch and position sense.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries (SCIs) can occur due to various causes, such as the following:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents are leading causes of SCIs. The force of impact can lead to damage to the spinal cord.
- Falls: Falls from heights or slips and trips are frequent causes of spinal cord injuries, especially among the elderly.
- Sports Injuries: High-impact sports such as football, rugby, and gymnastics can lead to SCIs, particularly when players collide or fall.
- Recreational Activities: Activities like diving into shallow water or extreme sports can result in spinal cord injuries if precautions are not taken.
- Diving Accidents: Diving into shallow water can cause severe spinal cord injuries, especially if the water is not deep enough.
- Extreme Sports: Activities like skiing, snowboarding, or biking can lead to SCIs when accidents occur.
- Assault: Physical altercations or acts of violence can lead to SCIs if the head or neck is targeted.
- Gunshot Wounds: Bullets can penetrate the spinal cord and cause severe injuries.
- Stab Wounds: Knife or other sharp object injuries can also damage the spinal cord.
In many cases, the victim of a severe spinal injury will require lifelong medical care and treatment, which can be extremely expensive. If you have suffered a severe spinal injury due to someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation. At Basch & Keegan LLP, our Poughkeepsie spinal cord injury lawyer can help you hold negligent parties accountable and get the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at to let us protect your rights and best interests from start to finish.
This firm will fight for you and get results! We cannot recommend them enough!
“Above everything, John and Katie showed genuine concern for me and my family. It’s clear how passionate John is about his work and doing what’s best for his clients.”
I will certainly recommend Maureen Keegan in the future!
“Throughout the 2+ years, Maureen Keegan continued to persevere on my behalf, contacting doctors, etc. and continually informing me of the status of my case.”
Helpful & Honest
“John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Derek was extremely helpful and informative through every step of the way.
“Everyone in the firm was pleasant. Thank you for helping to achieve this victorious win! I highly recommend this amazing firm!”
Extremely helpful law firm and staff
“Extremely helpful law firm and staff...John and his staff nothing but the best.”
Here to Help Win the Fight
Backed by our experience and insight, we’ve become known for taking on the toughest claims. If you or someone you love has been injured by the negligence or wrongful acts of another, we’re here to help you fight for the justice you deserve.
HERE TO HELP Get Results
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we have the resources and experience to help victims level the playing field with even the most powerful adversaries – and we have the record of success to back it up.
HERE TO HELP When You’re Hurt
We serve as the support system you can rely on as you begin your recovery. We go the extra mile to ensure you can focus on getting better while we work on the legal aspects of your claim.
HERE TO HELP Regardless of Who You Ask
We place an emphasis on personal attention. This approach allows us to create legal strategies custom-tailored to each client’s unique circumstances and has earned us the respect of our peers.
HERE TO HELP The Community
Our Kingston-based lawyers have deep roots in the community and a lengthy history of giving back to Ulster County. When the community needs us, we are always here to help.