Poughkeepsie Bus Accident Lawyers
Injured in a Bus Accident in Poughkeepsie, NY?
A bus accident is a serious matter. Bus drivers are trained to drive defensively, and they are expected to maintain a high level of awareness of their surroundings at all times. Unfortunately, bus drivers are not the only ones who need to be aware of the people and vehicles around them. Passengers, pedestrians, and other drivers are often at fault for causing a bus accident. This is especially true when passengers are distracted and not paying attention to the bus driver or the road.
At Basch & Keegan LLP, our Poughkeepsie bus accident lawyers are well-versed in the laws surrounding bus accidents and know how to effectively prove our clients' cases. We know what it takes to win in the courtroom, and we are committed to helping you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact us online or call to schedule a free consultation with our Poughkeepsie bus accident attorneys today.
Types of Buses
A "bus" can refer to various things depending on the context, but in the context of transportation, it typically refers to a large motor vehicle designed to carry passengers or goods along a specific route. Buses are a common mode of public transportation and are used for various purposes.
Here are some common types of buses:
- City Bus
- School Bus
- Coach Bus
- Tour Bus
- Shuttle Bus
- Double-Decker Bus
- Articulated Bus
- Electric Bus
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bus Accidents?
A bus accident is an unfortunate incident involving a bus, a large motor vehicle designed to carry passengers, goods, or both. These accidents can vary in severity, ranging from minor incidents to major collisions with significant consequences.
Common causes of bus accidents include:
- Driver Error: Driver error is a leading cause of bus accidents. It can include distracted driving, speeding, running red lights, failing to yield the right of way, and other mistakes made by the bus driver.
- Fatigue: Bus drivers often have long and demanding schedules. Fatigue can impair a driver's ability to react quickly and make sound decisions, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Mechanical Failures: Mechanical failures, such as brake or tire issues, can lead to bus accidents. Insufficient maintenance, faulty equipment, or manufacturing defects may contribute to these failures.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Weather conditions like rain, snow, ice, or fog can reduce visibility and make roads slippery, increasing the likelihood of accidents.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, uneven road surfaces, inadequate signage, and poorly designed roads can pose hazards for buses and other vehicles, leading to accidents.
- Reckless Driving by Other Vehicles: Actions of other drivers on the road, such as aggressive driving, changing lanes without signaling, or sudden stops, can result in bus accidents.
- Inadequate Training: Inexperienced or improperly trained bus drivers may struggle to handle complex situations on the road, potentially leading to accidents.
- Overloading: Overloading a bus with passengers or cargo can affect its stability and handling, making it more susceptible to accidents.
- Inadequate Maintenance: Poor maintenance practices, including neglecting routine inspections and repairs, can lead to mechanical failures that cause accidents.
- Intoxication or Impairment: Bus drivers operating under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication can be impaired, which increases the risk of accidents.
- Reckless Behavior by Passengers: Disruptive or aggressive behavior by passengers can distract the driver and lead to accidents.
- Wildlife and Objects on the Road: Unexpected encounters with wildlife, debris, or objects on the road can cause drivers to swerve or take evasive action, potentially resulting in accidents.
- Medical Emergencies: A driver suffering a sudden medical emergency, such as a heart attack or seizure, can lose control of the bus, leading to an accident.
- Inadequate Supervision and Regulation: Lack of oversight, regulation, and enforcement of safety standards in the bus industry can contribute to accidents.
Who is Liable for a Bus Accident?
Liability for a bus accident in New York can vary depending on the specific circumstances and the parties involved.
Several parties may potentially be held liable for a bus accident in the state of New York:
- Bus Driver: If the bus driver's actions, such as negligence, recklessness, or impairment, directly caused the accident, they can be held personally liable.
- Bus Company: The bus company that owns and operates the vehicle may be held liable if they were negligent in hiring, training, or supervising their drivers, or if they failed to properly maintain the bus.
- Maintenance and Repair Companies: If the accident resulted from mechanical failures or maintenance issues, the companies responsible for maintaining and repairing the bus may be held liable.
- Manufacturers: In cases where a defect in the bus's design or manufacturing contributed to the accident, the bus manufacturer or parts suppliers could be held liable.
- Government Entities: If the bus accident occurred due to poor road conditions, inadequate signage, or other factors related to road maintenance and design, a government entity responsible for maintaining the road might be liable. However, claims against government entities may be subject to special rules and limitations.
- Other Drivers: If the bus accident was caused by the negligence or recklessness of another driver on the road, that driver may be held liable for the accident.
- Passengers: In rare cases, a passenger's actions or behavior may contribute to an accident, and they may be held liable.
Determining liability in a bus accident can be complex, involving investigations, expert opinions, and legal proceedings. New York follows a "comparative negligence" system, which means that liability may be apportioned among multiple parties based on their respective levels of fault. This can affect the amount of compensation that victims or their families may receive.
At Basch & Keegan LLP, our Poughkeepsie bus accident lawyers are committed to helping you recover the compensation you deserve. We know how to effectively prove our clients' cases and can fight to ensure that you get the maximum compensation you are owed.
If you have been injured in a bus accident, we can help. Call or fill out our online contact form today.
This firm will fight for you and get results! We cannot recommend them enough!
“Above everything, John and Katie showed genuine concern for me and my family. It’s clear how passionate John is about his work and doing what’s best for his clients.”
I will certainly recommend Maureen Keegan in the future!
“Throughout the 2+ years, Maureen Keegan continued to persevere on my behalf, contacting doctors, etc. and continually informing me of the status of my case.”
Helpful & Honest
“John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Derek was extremely helpful and informative through every step of the way.
“Everyone in the firm was pleasant. Thank you for helping to achieve this victorious win! I highly recommend this amazing firm!”
Extremely helpful law firm and staff
“Extremely helpful law firm and staff...John and his staff nothing but the best.”
Here to Help Win the Fight
Backed by our experience and insight, we’ve become known for taking on the toughest claims. If you or someone you love has been injured by the negligence or wrongful acts of another, we’re here to help you fight for the justice you deserve.
HERE TO HELP Get Results
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we have the resources and experience to help victims level the playing field with even the most powerful adversaries – and we have the record of success to back it up.
HERE TO HELP When You’re Hurt
We serve as the support system you can rely on as you begin your recovery. We go the extra mile to ensure you can focus on getting better while we work on the legal aspects of your claim.
HERE TO HELP Regardless of Who You Ask
We place an emphasis on personal attention. This approach allows us to create legal strategies custom-tailored to each client’s unique circumstances and has earned us the respect of our peers.
HERE TO HELP The Community
Our Kingston-based lawyers have deep roots in the community and a lengthy history of giving back to Ulster County. When the community needs us, we are always here to help.