Poughkeepsie Animal Attack Attorneys
Representing Victims of Dog Bites & Other Animal Attacks
Animal attacks can cause serious injuries, especially when the victim is a child. In addition to the physical injuries, victims may also suffer from emotional trauma and other damages. If you or your child were bitten or attacked by an animal, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we understand the immense impact an animal attack can have on your life. Our Poughkeepsie animal attack lawyers are here to help you fight for the full, fair recovery you are owed. We have successfully recovered millions of dollars for our clients, and we are prepared to put our extensive experience to work for you.
Call or contact us online today to schedule a free, confidential consultation.
What to Do After an Animal Attack
After an animal attack, it is important that you take the right steps to protect your health and your rights. Here’s what you should do:
- Get to safety: If you are able, move to a safe location away from the animal.
- Call 911: If you or someone else is seriously injured, call 911 and request an ambulance. You should also report the attack to the police.
- Identify the animal: If you can, identify the animal that attacked you. If it is a stray or wild animal, do not attempt to capture it. If it is a pet, try to locate the owner.
- Get medical attention: Even if your injuries are relatively minor, you should still seek medical attention. Some injuries, such as puncture wounds, may not be immediately apparent. Additionally, seeing a doctor will create a record of your injuries, which can be helpful if you decide to file a claim.
- Document the scene: If you are able, take pictures of the scene of the attack, as well as your injuries. If there are any witnesses, ask for their contact information.
- Report the attack: Report the attack to your local animal control agency. If the animal is a pet, you should also report the attack to the owner’s homeowner’s insurance company.
- Do not give a statement: Do not give a statement to the insurance company or anyone else until you have spoken to an attorney. Insurance adjusters are trained to get you to say things that can be used against you.
- Call an attorney: An experienced attorney can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process of filing a claim.
Who is Liable for an Animal Attack?
When an animal attacks, the owner is typically liable for the victim’s injuries. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.
In New York, an animal’s owner can be held liable for an attack if:
- The animal has a history of viciousness
- The owner violated a leash law or other animal control law
- The owner was negligent in some way
It is important to note that, in New York, the “one bite” rule does not apply. This rule, which is followed in some states, states that an owner is only liable for an attack if the animal has bitten someone before. In New York, an owner can be held liable for an attack even if the animal has never bitten anyone before.
Additionally, it is important to note that, in some cases, a third party may be liable for an animal attack. For example, if an animal attacks someone at a park, the park owner may be liable if they failed to take reasonable steps to protect visitors from animal attacks.
What Damages Are Available in an Animal Attack Case?
If you were injured in an animal attack, you may be entitled to compensation for both your economic and non-economic damages.
Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Emergency medical care
- Surgeries and other medical procedures
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
How Our Firm Can Help You
If you or your child was injured in an animal attack, you may be entitled to compensation. Our Poughkeepsie animal attack attorneys can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process of filing a claim. We are committed to providing you with the compassionate, personalized legal services you deserve.
When you choose our firm, you can expect:
- Compassionate, personalized legal services: We understand that every case is unique, which is why we take the time to listen to your story and understand your goals. We will then work to develop a personalized legal strategy that is tailored to your needs.
- Aggressive advocacy: We are not afraid to take on large insurance companies and corporations. Our attorneys are skilled litigators who are prepared to fight for you in court, if necessary.
- Open and honest communication: We will keep you updated on any developments in your case and will always be available to answer your questions. Our team is here to provide you with the support and guidance you need.
Contact us at today to request a free consultation.
This firm will fight for you and get results! We cannot recommend them enough!
“Above everything, John and Katie showed genuine concern for me and my family. It’s clear how passionate John is about his work and doing what’s best for his clients.”
I will certainly recommend Maureen Keegan in the future!
“Throughout the 2+ years, Maureen Keegan continued to persevere on my behalf, contacting doctors, etc. and continually informing me of the status of my case.”
Helpful & Honest
“John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Derek was extremely helpful and informative through every step of the way.
“Everyone in the firm was pleasant. Thank you for helping to achieve this victorious win! I highly recommend this amazing firm!”
Extremely helpful law firm and staff
“Extremely helpful law firm and staff...John and his staff nothing but the best.”
Here to Help Win the Fight
Backed by our experience and insight, we’ve become known for taking on the toughest claims. If you or someone you love has been injured by the negligence or wrongful acts of another, we’re here to help you fight for the justice you deserve.
HERE TO HELP Get Results
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we have the resources and experience to help victims level the playing field with even the most powerful adversaries – and we have the record of success to back it up.
HERE TO HELP When You’re Hurt
We serve as the support system you can rely on as you begin your recovery. We go the extra mile to ensure you can focus on getting better while we work on the legal aspects of your claim.
HERE TO HELP Regardless of Who You Ask
We place an emphasis on personal attention. This approach allows us to create legal strategies custom-tailored to each client’s unique circumstances and has earned us the respect of our peers.
HERE TO HELP The Community
Our Kingston-based lawyers have deep roots in the community and a lengthy history of giving back to Ulster County. When the community needs us, we are always here to help.