Poughkeepsie Brain Injury Lawyers
Basch & Keegan LLP's Commitment to You
If you have suffered a brain injury, you need a team of knowledgeable and compassionate attorneys who can help you navigate the complex legal system. At Basch & Keegan LLP, we are committed to helping our clients recover the compensation they need to move forward with their lives.
What is a Brain Injury?
Brain injuries can be caused by a wide range of traumatic events, including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, bus accidents, slip and fall incidents, and assault or wrongful death cases. Brain injuries can range from mild concussions to severe and life-threatening conditions, such as intracranial hemorrhaging, cerebral contusions, and diffuse axonal injury.
Here are some common types of brain injuries:
- Concussion: A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) that usually occurs from a blow to the head or a sudden jolt, causing the brain to bounce or twist within the skull. Symptoms can include confusion, headache, dizziness, memory problems, and sensitivity to light and noise. Most concussions resolve with rest and proper care.
- Contusion: A contusion is a bruise on the brain that results from direct impact to the head. It can cause localized bleeding and damage to brain tissue. Symptoms can vary depending on the severity and location of the contusion.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI): DAI occurs when there is widespread damage to the brain's nerve fibers (axons) due to strong rotational forces, often seen in severe head injuries like car accidents. It can lead to widespread cognitive and motor impairments.
- Penetrating Injury: Penetrating injuries occur when an object, such as a bullet or a piece of skull, penetrates the brain tissue. These injuries can cause localized damage and are often associated with significant neurological deficits.
- Anoxic Brain Injury: Anoxic brain injury occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen for an extended period, leading to damage or death of brain cells. This can happen due to drowning, suffocation, or cardiac arrest. The extent of damage depends on the duration of oxygen deprivation.
- Hypoxic Brain Injury: Similar to anoxic brain injury, hypoxic brain injury occurs when there is a reduced supply of oxygen to the brain, which can lead to cell damage and impaired brain function. This can result from medical conditions that affect oxygen delivery or breathing difficulties.
- Stroke: A stroke occurs when blood flow to a part of the brain is interrupted, either due to a blocked blood vessel (ischemic stroke) or a ruptured blood vessel (hemorrhagic stroke). Strokes can cause a range of cognitive, motor, and sensory impairments depending on the affected brain area.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): TBIs encompass a wide range of injuries resulting from a sudden blow, jolt, or penetrating trauma to the head. TBIs can range from mild to severe and may lead to various physical, cognitive, and emotional symptoms.
- Shaken Baby Syndrome: This type of brain injury occurs when an infant or young child is forcefully shaken, causing the brain to move within the skull. Shaken baby syndrome can result in severe brain damage, often leading to lifelong disabilities or even death.
- Cerebral Hemorrhage: A cerebral hemorrhage is a type of bleeding within the brain tissue, often caused by the rupture of a blood vessel. This can lead to increased intracranial pressure, brain damage, and a variety of neurological symptoms.
Symptoms of Brain Injuries
The symptoms of brain injuries can vary depending on the severity of the trauma. Some people may experience no symptoms at all, while others may experience symptoms that resemble a common cold or the flu. In many cases, the symptoms of a brain injury do not appear until hours, days, or even weeks after the incident. The following are common symptoms of brain injuries:
- Loss of consciousness
- Convulsions or seizures
- Dilated pupils
- Dry or flushed skin
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty swallowing
- Weakness or numbness
- Difficulty walking or coordination
- Vision problems
- Memory loss
- Concentration problems
- Depression or anxiety
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Difficulty sleeping
- Severe headaches
Why Choose Us?
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we recognize the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a brain injury can take on individuals and their families. Our dedicated team is committed to providing comprehensive legal assistance to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Here are some of the ways we can assist you:
- Case Evaluation and Consultation: We offer a free initial consultation to discuss the details of your case. During this meeting, our experienced attorneys will listen to your story, evaluate the circumstances of the injury, and provide you with an informed legal opinion on the best course of action.
- Thorough Investigation: Our legal team will conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your brain injury. This includes gathering medical records, accident reports, witness statements, and any other pertinent evidence to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Expert Consultations: We collaborate with medical experts, neurologists, rehabilitation specialists, and other professionals to establish the extent of the injury's impact on your life. This helps us accurately assess the current and future costs associated with your injury, such as medical treatment, therapy, and lost wages.
- Negotiation and Litigation: Our Poughkeepsie brain injury lawyers are skilled negotiators and litigators. We aim to secure a fair settlement through negotiations, but we are fully prepared to take your case to court if necessary to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Compassionate Support: Beyond legal guidance, we offer compassionate support to you and your family. We understand the emotional challenges that come with brain injuries, and we are here to provide assistance throughout the legal process.
This firm will fight for you and get results! We cannot recommend them enough!
“Above everything, John and Katie showed genuine concern for me and my family. It’s clear how passionate John is about his work and doing what’s best for his clients.”
I will certainly recommend Maureen Keegan in the future!
“Throughout the 2+ years, Maureen Keegan continued to persevere on my behalf, contacting doctors, etc. and continually informing me of the status of my case.”
Helpful & Honest
“John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Derek was extremely helpful and informative through every step of the way.
“Everyone in the firm was pleasant. Thank you for helping to achieve this victorious win! I highly recommend this amazing firm!”
Extremely helpful law firm and staff
“Extremely helpful law firm and staff...John and his staff nothing but the best.”
Here to Help Win the Fight
Backed by our experience and insight, we’ve become known for taking on the toughest claims. If you or someone you love has been injured by the negligence or wrongful acts of another, we’re here to help you fight for the justice you deserve.
HERE TO HELP Get Results
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we have the resources and experience to help victims level the playing field with even the most powerful adversaries – and we have the record of success to back it up.
HERE TO HELP When You’re Hurt
We serve as the support system you can rely on as you begin your recovery. We go the extra mile to ensure you can focus on getting better while we work on the legal aspects of your claim.
HERE TO HELP Regardless of Who You Ask
We place an emphasis on personal attention. This approach allows us to create legal strategies custom-tailored to each client’s unique circumstances and has earned us the respect of our peers.
HERE TO HELP The Community
Our Kingston-based lawyers have deep roots in the community and a lengthy history of giving back to Ulster County. When the community needs us, we are always here to help.