Kingston Scaffold Accident Attorneys
Representing Workers Injured in a Scaffold Fall
Basch & Keegan LLP regularly represents Hudson Valley construction workers hurt on the job, including cases in which a worker was injured because of defective and dangerous scaffolding equipment. Scaffold injuries can be very serious and even fatal — requiring skilled legal counsel to determine the cause of the accident, uncover all potentially liable parties, and accurately assess present and future damages accountable to the injury.
In Most Cases, Scaffold Accidents and Injuries Are Preventable
According to a Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) study, over 70% of workers injured in scaffold accidents attribute the accident to either planking or support giving way or to slipping or being struck by a falling object. Many of these incidents are preventable. With 65% of construction projects involving the use of scaffolding (according to the BLS), the likelihood of an unfortunate accident is high. According to OSHA, safety compliance and employer education can prevent approximately 4,500 accidents and save up to 50 lives annually.
What are the main hazards associated with Scaffolding?
Scaffolds are often an essential aspect of construction work. Due to their hazardous nature, it's crucial that workers have the correct training. When implemented properly, workers are able to avoid common scaffolding accidents, which include:
- Scaffold Collapse
- Falling tools and debris
What Factors Cause Most Scaffold Accidents?
In most cases, scaffold accidents are entirely preventable when following proper safety procedures. Most scaffold accidents are usually attributed to:
- Failure to use guard rails and fall arrest systems to prevent falls from elevations
- Failure to ensure proper scaffold construction and/or access
- Overloading a scaffold with workers or equipment
- Failure to routinely inspect a scaffold for visible defects
- Failure to train workers to recognize hazards
- Working on a scaffold during storms or high winds
- Failure to barricade the area below the scaffold to avoid injuries caused by falling tools or debris
- Failure to use panels, screens, canopies, or nets to contain or deflect falling objects
- Failure to maintain required clearance distances between power lines and scaffolding to prevent electrocution
- Failure to de-energize power lines and install protective covering to avoid electrocution
There is no excuse for failing to follow safety standards and creating an unnecessarily perilous environment for workers who are already engaged in dangerous tasks. The attorneys at Basch & Keegan LLP have successfully held liable parties responsible for scaffolding injuries outside of the New York workers’ compensation system.
What to Do After a Scaffold Accident
After suffering injury from a scaffold accident, there are some key actions you should take to protect your rights and get the justice you deserve. Follow these steps thoroughly and your case will be stronger for it:
- Get medical care immediately following the accident - Having these records and putting yourself on a course for recovery is essential.
- Ensure that you obtain evidence from the accident scene, such as photographs and a written record of what occurred
- Report the accident to the owner of the property as well as the construction property
- Contact a professional attorney who can investigate the case
Don’t Wait. Call Us NOW!
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a scaffold accident in Greene, Dutchess, Ulster, or the surrounding counties, please contact Basch & Keegan LLP for a free initial consultation. We handle even the most complex construction accident cases involving catastrophic injuries and complicated facts.
John was quick to respond, helpful and honest
John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Strong and Persistent
“Strong and Persistent”
Best of the best of the best!
“Compassionate, dedicated, professional...Eli, Maureen, Derek, John, and all the staff.”
Professional, Responsive & Communicative
Maureen and her crew do one heck of a job!!!!”
Extremely responsive, even after hours!
We Understand How You FeelWe recognize the difficulty that injury victims face. Let us take some of the weight off your shoulders.
Personalized & Passionate RepresentationWe consistently obtain excellent results because our opponents know we don’t back down. We are ready to fight for you.
A History of SuccessWe’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation for personal injury victims in the Hudson Valley. Ask your friends and neighbors about us.
For Us, Every Case Is PersonalOur attorneys spend significant time with each and every client, explaining the legal process and ensuring that our clients understand their options at every stage of their case.
Proven Strategy for Getting Exceptional SettlementsWe work hard for our clients and prepare each case for trial. This proven strategy enables us to obtain higher settlement values on behalf of our clients.