It is important to realize when you are having medical complications because of a defective product. The attorneys at Basch & Keegan know how to hold companies accountable. Derek J. Spada is accepting new clients who were injured due to a Philips CPAP machine or hernia mesh complications.
CPAP Machine Recall
Philips Respironics has recalled millions of its CPAP machines, BiPAP machines, and ventilators due to a potentially fatal defect. According to Philips and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), small pieces of foam can come loose while an affected CPAP machine is in use, exposing the user to toxic chemicals and/or a choking hazard.
If you have used any of the recalled devices and suffered a serious illness that was otherwise unexplained, then there could be a connection. You may be able to obtain a settlement from Philips by joining a class action lawsuit. Let Basch & Keegan LLP be your legal guides throughout this process. From our offices in Poughkeepsie, Kingston, and Latham, we can assist clients throughout New York and across the country.
Read more about the CPAP Machine Class Action Lawsuit here: https://www.baschkeegan.com/personal-injury/cpap-machine-recalls/
Hernia Mesh Complications
If you’ve had a hernia surgically repaired, chances are good that the doctor used mesh to help strengthen and secure this area. While it almost always works as intended, hernia mesh can sometimes fail, causing complications. According to the FDA, most surgical mesh devices currently available for use are constructed from synthetic materials or animal tissue.
A hernia mesh lawsuit is a legal claim filed against surgical mesh manufacturers by people who suffered serious injuries after their mesh implants failed.
What Injuries Can Lead to a Hernia Mesh Lawsuit?
You may be able to file a claim if you’ve experienced one or more of the hernia mesh complications listed below and your doctor-recommended revision surgery.
- Adhesion: Mesh implant sticks to other organs and tissue.
- Pain: If it lasts months or years after hernia mesh surgery, it may lead to nerve damage or chronic inflammation.
- Bowel Obstruction: The hernia mesh sticks to the intestines or moves around in the body, blocking the bowel.
- Infection: Chronic inflammation around the hernia mesh may lead to infection.
- Mesh Failure: Implant causes problems, such as pain and hernia recurrence, and must be removed.
- Migration: Hernia mesh moves from the initial surgery site to other parts of the body.
- Perforation of Organs or Tissues: The hernia mesh punctures other body parts during migration.
- Seromas: Pockets of fluid buildup around the surgery site.
- Hernia Recurrence: The hernia may return if the mesh fails. It's a common complication of hernia surgery.
- Revision Surgery: One or more surgeries, depending on the severity of complications, to remove faulty hernia mesh.
- Delayed or Long-Term Complications: Chronic pain, adhesions, or hernia recurrence may occur years after the original surgery.
- Groin or Testicular Pain: A burning sensation at the surgery site caused by pinched nerves after hernia mesh surgery.
Many complications related to hernia repair with surgical mesh that has been reported to the FDA have been associated with recalled mesh products that are no longer on the market. Pain, infection, recurrence, adhesion, obstruction, and perforation are the most common complications associated with recalled mesh. In the FDA’s analysis of medical adverse event reports to the FDA, recalled mesh products were the main cause of bowel perforation and obstruction complications.
For more information on the recalled products, please visit the FDA Medical Device Recall website. Please visit the Medical & Radiation Emitting Device Database to search for a specific type of surgical mesh.
Basch & Keegan Will Hold Them Accountable
Some mesh brands and types have a higher failure rate than others. Patients who had hernia surgery with these mesh brands filed lawsuits against manufacturers are their mesh failed:
C.R. Bard, Davol (Bard Davol)
PerFix, Kugel, 3DMax, Composix, Ventralex ST, Ventralex Patch, Supramesh
Ethicon/Johnson & Johnson
Prolene, Proceed, Physiomesh Flexible Composite
C-QUR mesh and v-patches
Composite, ProGrip, Parietex
Call Basch & Keegan Today
You may be eligible to file a hernia mesh lawsuit if you had hernia mesh surgery and experienced serious complications. We urge you to contact Derek J. Spada at Basch & Keegan in a timely manner, as there is an approaching deadline to file a claim.
Call 845-338-8884 and ask for Derek J. Spada.