Albany Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents in Albany County
When you visit someone else’s property—whether it’s a private home, a retail store, or even a public park—you expect a reasonable degree of safety. In fact, New York property owners have a duty to ensure their properties are free of hazards that could cause foreseeable injury to others. Unfortunately, not all property owners conduct proper maintenance or adequately repair, remove, or warn others of dangerous conditions. This leads to countless accidents and injuries every year, including devastating slips, trips, and falls.
Although slip and fall accidents are often viewed as less serious than other types of injury-causing events, we at Basch & Keegan LLP recognize how serious these incidents are. In fact, falls—including those resulting from slips and trips—are among the leading causes of both catastrophic injuries and deaths in the United States.
If you were severely injured, or if your loved one died, due to a serious slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, and you believe the property owner was negligent, we encourage you to reach out to our firm right away. You could be entitled to monetary compensation for your damages, including your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering, and our Albany slip and fall lawyers can help. With over 100 years of collective experience and more than 10,000 clients helped, we have what it takes to aggressively advocate for you and your recovery.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents?
Despite a common misconception that slip, trip, and fall accidents generally result from an individual’s clumsiness or negligence, the fact is that most of these accidents result from the carelessness or recklessness of property owners. All too often, innocent people are severely injured simply because a property owner failed to adequately maintain their premises and take the necessary steps to ensure visitors were not harmed.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents that can be attributed to property owner negligence include:
- Unmarked wet or slippery floors
- Lack of proper signage
- Broken or defective steps/stairs
- Missing handrails
- Failure to promptly clean up spills
- Exposed cords, wires, and other tripping hazards
- Insufficient lighting
- Failure to follow proper safety practices/standards
- Building code violations
- Inadequate property maintenance or repairs
- Defective ladders, escalators, elevators, sidewalks, etc.
- Structure collapses
These and other hazardous conditions put visitors at risk and often lead to devastating accidents. If you slipped and fell due to any of these types of hazards or other dangerous property conditions, you likely have grounds for a premises liability case against a negligent property owner, manager, or another liable party. We encourage you to reach out to our Albany slip and fall lawyers at Basch & Keegan LLP today to learn more.
When Is a Property Owner Responsible for a Slip and Fall?
Property owners are often—but not always—liable for slips, trips, and falls that occur on their premises. In fact, to prove your case, there are several elements you must establish.
To hold a property owner accountable for your injuries and damages following a slip and fall accident, you must prove the following:
- The Property Owner Owed You a Duty of Care: Typically, a property owner owes you a duty of care when you are lawfully on the property, whether as an invitee or licensee. An invitee is someone who has the property owner’s explicit or implied permission to be on the property, whereas a licensee is someone who has not been invited to the property but is nevertheless legally allowed to be on the property. Both invitees and licensees are owed a higher duty of care than trespassers, who are not lawfully allowed to be on the property. Property owners in New York do not generally owe a duty of care to trespassers other than to refrain from causing willful, wanton, or intentional injury and/or harm.
- The Property Owner Failed to Uphold the Duty of Care: To prove that the property owner failed to uphold the duty of care they owed to you, you will typically need to prove that failed to promptly, adequately, and/or properly remove, repair, or warn of a dangerous condition or hazard that existed on the property. You will also likely need to prove that the property owner knew about or reasonably should have known about the dangerous condition or hazard.
- The Property Owner’s Negligence Was the Cause of Your Injuries: You will also need to establish causation, meaning you will need to show that the property owner’s failure to maintain the premises or otherwise remove, repair, or warn of dangerous conditions was the proximate or direct cause of your injuries. This often also includes proving that the dangerous condition or hazard was not so open and obvious that you could have easily avoided it, or that you were not negligent yourself/did not cause your own injuries.
- You Were Injured and Suffered Measurable Damages: Lastly, to file a claim for damages after a slip and fall accident, you must prove that you actually did, in fact, suffer injuries and measurable damages. These damages can be either economic or non-economic in nature and may include things like medical bills, lost wages, disability, lost earning capacity, pain and suffering, lost quality of life, and more.
Proving your slip and fall case can be quite challenging without the help of a skilled and knowledgeable attorney. At Basch & Keegan LLP, we understand the law and how it applies to your case. Our experienced Albany slip and fall accident attorneys can assist you in bringing a personal injury case against the liable party and seeking to hold the negligent property owner accountable for the harm their conduct has caused you.
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today
If you slipped, tripped, and fell on someone else’s property, leading to serious injury or disability, reach out to our team today to learn how we can help you seek the justice and fair compensation you are owed. Our firm is ready to put over a century of combined experience on your side, working to maximize your recovery and help you recover the monetary compensation you need to heal and move forward with your life.
We provide our legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not owe anything unless we recover a settlement or verdict for you. If we do not successfully recover compensation on your behalf, you do not pay.
This firm will fight for you and get results! We cannot recommend them enough!
“Above everything, John and Katie showed genuine concern for me and my family. It’s clear how passionate John is about his work and doing what’s best for his clients.”
I will certainly recommend Maureen Keegan in the future!
“Throughout the 2+ years, Maureen Keegan continued to persevere on my behalf, contacting doctors, etc. and continually informing me of the status of my case.”
Helpful & Honest
“John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Derek was extremely helpful and informative through every step of the way.
“Everyone in the firm was pleasant. Thank you for helping to achieve this victorious win! I highly recommend this amazing firm!”
Extremely helpful law firm and staff
“Extremely helpful law firm and staff...John and his staff nothing but the best.”
Here to Help Win the Fight
Backed by our experience and insight, we’ve become known for taking on the toughest claims. If you or someone you love has been injured by the negligence or wrongful acts of another, we’re here to help you fight for the justice you deserve.
HERE TO HELP Get Results
At Basch & Keegan LLP, we have the resources and experience to help victims level the playing field with even the most powerful adversaries – and we have the record of success to back it up.
HERE TO HELP When You’re Hurt
We serve as the support system you can rely on as you begin your recovery. We go the extra mile to ensure you can focus on getting better while we work on the legal aspects of your claim.
HERE TO HELP Regardless of Who You Ask
We place an emphasis on personal attention. This approach allows us to create legal strategies custom-tailored to each client’s unique circumstances and has earned us the respect of our peers.
HERE TO HELP The Community
Our Kingston-based lawyers have deep roots in the community and a lengthy history of giving back to Ulster County. When the community needs us, we are always here to help.