CPAP Machine Recall Lawyers
Philips Defective CPAP Machine Lawsuits - Call (845) 251-4545 Today
Philips Respironics has recalled millions of its CPAP machines, BiPAP machines, and ventilators due to a potentially fatal defect. According to Philips and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), small pieces of foam can come loose while an affected CPAP machine is in use, exposing the user to toxic chemicals and/or a choking hazard.
Philips sleep devices and CPAP machines that have been recalled include:
- DreamStation ASV
- DreamStation ST
- SystemOne ASV4
- C Series ASV
- OmniLab Advanced Plus
- SystemOne (Q Series)
- DreamStation CPAP
- DreamStation Auto CPAP
- DreamStation BiPAP
- DreamStation Go
- Dorma 400/500 CPAP
- REMStar SE Auto CPAP
- Trilogy 100 and 200
- Garbin Plus
- A-Series BiPAP
If you have used any of these recalled devices and suffered a serious illness that was otherwise unexplained, then there could be a connection. You might have the chance to sue Philips for compensation through a claim or by joining a class action lawsuit. Let Basch & Keegan LLP be your legal guides throughout this process. From our offices in Poughkeepsie, Kingston, and Latham, we can assist clients throughout New York and across the country.
Dial (845) 251-4545 right now to learn more about the developing Philips CPAP lawsuits.
Why is the CPAP Foam Dangerous?
The recalled Philips CPAP machines and sleep apnea machines all use the same or similar polyurethane sound abatement foam. With regular use, the foam can gradually break apart and disintegrate. Larger pieces of foam can enter the device’s airway and choke the user. Microscopic pieces could be even more dangerous, though, because some of the chemical components in the foam are toxic.
Inhaling the toxic foam has been linked to:
- Various forms of cancer, like lung and kidney cancer
- Asthma and asthma attacks
- Upper respiratory infections
- Whooping cough
- Nausea and vomiting
If you have experienced unexplained symptoms and use a Philips CPAP machine, then you should see your doctor as soon as possible. Tell them about the possible connection, and they may order diagnostic testing to better understand your conditions with this new information. The medical records they create could help your claim later.
What Makes Philips Liable?
Defective products and medical devices are sold and recalled every year, but they are not all met with widescale class action lawsuits. Why is it that Philips is now faced with class action lawsuits and individual claims?
Complaints against Philips Respironics claim that the company is liable due to a:
- Design defect: The polyurethane foam was probably never fit to be used in the machine’s airway because it contains toxic chemicals. This defect is a defect in the design, which could make Philips strictly liable for any damages it caused.
- Failure to warn: Allegedly, Philips had received complaints about the foam breaking part and being inhaled for years. Yet the company did nothing to inspect and improve upon the design, nor were there ever any previous recalls.
Inadequate Recall Causes More Problems
Philips has been lambasted by its consumers for not handling the CPAP machine recall correctly. Countless people have discontinued the use of their sleep apnea machines as directed and then sent the affected machines back to the manufacturer. Yet most have reportedly not received a new machine in return, nor have they been given a refund to buy a replacement from another brand.
As a result of this insufficient recall, thousands of Americans are now struggling to get any sleep as they go to bed each night without a necessary piece of medical equipment. There are talks of adding sleep deprivation-related damages to the class action lawsuit, or perhaps of separate lawsuits for these damages. If you have been suffering from sleep deprivation since sending away your recalled Philips CPAP machine, then please let our legal team know. It could be relevant to your claim’s success.
We Can Fight for Every Penny – Call Now
Basch & Keegan LLP and our CPAP machine recall attorneys are here to help you get as much compensation from Philips for its dangerously defective products. You could be owed money for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering, as well as further punitive damages that could be used to penalize the product maker. Getting that compensation could be difficult, though, because Philips is expected to put up a strong legal fight as cases move through the courts. Do not face that challenge alone when you could allow our highly praised personal injury professionals to manage your case on your behalf.
Hernia Mesh Complications
If you’ve had a hernia surgically repaired, chances are good that the doctor used mesh to help strengthen and secure this area. While it almost always works as intended, hernia mesh can sometimes fail, causing complications. According to the FDA, most surgical mesh devices currently available for use are constructed from synthetic materials or animal tissue.
A hernia mesh lawsuit is a legal claim filed against surgical mesh manufacturers by people who suffered serious injuries after their mesh implants failed.
What Injuries Can Lead to a Hernia Mesh Lawsuit?
You may be able to file a claim if you’ve experienced one or more of the hernia mesh complications listed below and your doctor recommended revision surgery.
- Adhesion: Mesh implant sticks to other organs and tissue.
- Pain: If it lasts months or years after hernia mesh surgery, it may lead to nerve damage or chronic inflammation.
- Bowel Obstruction: The hernia mesh sticks to the intestines or moves around in the body, blocking the bowel.
- Infection: Chronic inflammation around the hernia mesh may lead to infection.
- Mesh Failure: Implant causes problems, such as pain and hernia recurrence, and must be removed.
- Migration: Hernia mesh moves from initial surgery site to other parts of the body.
- Perforation of Organs or Tissues: The hernia mesh punctures other body parts during migration.
- Seromas: Pockets of fluid buildup around the surgery site.
- Hernia Recurrence: The hernia may return if the mesh fails. It's a common complication of hernia surgery.
- Revision Surgery: One or more surgeries, depending on severity of complications, to remove faulty hernia mesh.
- Delayed or Long-Term Complications: Chronic pain, adhesions or hernia recurrence may occur years after original surgery.
- Groin or Testicular Pain: A burning sensation at the surgery site caused by pinched nerves after hernia mesh surgery.
Many complications related to hernia repair with surgical mesh that have been reported to the FDA have been associated with recalled mesh products that are no longer on the market. Pain, infection, recurrence, adhesion, obstruction, and perforation are the most common complications associated with recalled mesh. In the FDA’s analysis of medical adverse event reports to the FDA, recalled mesh products were the main cause of bowel perforation and obstruction complications.
For more information on the recalled products, please visit the FDA Medical Device Recall website. Please visit the Medical & Radiation Emitting Device Database to search a specific type of surgical mesh.
John was quick to respond, helpful and honest
John was quick to respond, helpful and honest regarding my situation and the questions I had. Also easy to talk to which is always appreciated!”
Strong and Persistent
“Strong and Persistent”
Best of the best of the best!
“Compassionate, dedicated, professional...Eli, Maureen, Derek, John, and all the staff.”
Professional, Responsive & Communicative
Maureen and her crew do one heck of a job!!!!”
Extremely responsive, even after hours!
We Understand How You FeelWe recognize the difficulty that injury victims face. Let us take some of the weight off your shoulders.
Personalized & Passionate RepresentationWe consistently obtain excellent results because our opponents know we don’t back down. We are ready to fight for you.
A History of SuccessWe’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation for personal injury victims in the Hudson Valley. Ask your friends and neighbors about us.
For Us, Every Case Is PersonalOur attorneys spend significant time with each and every client, explaining the legal process and ensuring that our clients understand their options at every stage of their case.
Proven Strategy for Getting Exceptional SettlementsWe work hard for our clients and prepare each case for trial. This proven strategy enables us to obtain higher settlement values on behalf of our clients.